After the concept and design was finished I could start to work. I used an aluminium skeleton to stabilise the figure. The modelling was made with super scalpey. The maquette has a height of 35cm/13.8″ and it took me about 1 1/2 months to create.
In the second semester we had to turn our maquette into a character illustration. I cleaned the proportions and minor flaws first. Then I made a value illustration to see how the surfaces work. Based on this I started to apply color to the character. I needed a few attemps, but in the end I decided to go with a very warm color palette. I added textures and patterns to improve the plasticity and set a high value on the silhouettes, but I didn’t wanted to abandon all original textures. I think these were highly unique and a waste to not work with them. You can see them on the shirt and small details like the belt. After all of this preparatory work was done I painted over the picture. Some areas like the face got a whole makeover, whereas other parts didn’t needed so much attention.
In the end I created a light background to support the character. A light blue with an icy ground seemed like the best possibility to show the general environment of the character but also retain a welcome and comfortable mood.